Virtual Group Support for Trainees
It can be helpful to share experiences and offer mutual support with other trainees in a neutral and safe space.
We know that some people find it easier to speak about their difficulties or dilemmas outside their usual work environment and we offer a number of facilitated, virtual support groups for trainees.
What are the groups for?
- A safe, contained, facilitated space to share experiences, issues or dilemmas with colleagues
- A space to be supported by and to support colleagues
- A chance to hear about similar experiences from other trainees outside your usual work environment
- You are welcome to come for a one-off; there is no regular commitment
What are the groups NOT for?
- Whilst group support can often be helpful and feel therapeutic these are not therapy groups
- If you are experiencing acute psychological distress or mental health crisis these groups would not be appropriate for you. You can access more suitable support if you are experiencing these symptoms via our 1:1 support page.
- These groups are also not suitable if you have experienced complex trauma. Further information is available on our 1:1 support page
Who will be in the group?
- Each group will be facilitated by at least one senior member of the Professional Support Unit team trained to run groups. They will not be run by a therapist.
- Anyone who is eligible to access the PSU services can join the group including
- Trainee doctors, dentists, pharmacists, nurse preceptors and other Band 5-8 healthcare professionals in postgraduate training in London & South East
- Colleagues from the Induction & Returner (I&R), Retainer, International GP Recruitment and Supported Return to Training (suppoRTT) schemes
- We will be offering mixed groups which can be accessed by people from any stage of training & speciality as well as some for those in the same stage of training
- The group size will be limited to create a safe space for everyone to speak & be heard
What types of group are available?
Facilitated, informal sessions without a fixed agenda to discuss any issues of current concern. These include:
- Mixed 'drop in' groups (for any stage of training & all specialities)
- Foundation 'drop in' groups (for anyone in a foundation year)
- Core Trainee 'drop in' groups (for anyone in a CT post)
- Speciality Training 'drop in' groups (for speciality trainees from mixed disciplines)
Facilitated, structured sessions with the same group members meeting several times (often 4-6 times) over several weeks/months. These include:
- V-space for SuppoRTT trainees (this is a specific closed group for those returning to training)
- V-space Doctors' forum (closed group for postgraduate doctors of any level & speciliality)
If you would like us to run sessions for a particular group not included in the above categories please email us at email@example.com
What will the format of the 'drop in' groups be?
- Groups will last 75mins
- Each group will be facilitated by 1 or 2 group facilitators
- Groups will be via a tele-conferencing platform (such as Zoom, Skype or Webex). You will be sent the joining instructions of each private group
- You will be sent an email before the group with brief information about the group principles & process, so you know what to expect
- There will be space for you to share your experiences, but you will not be forced to do so. Sometimes listening to the stories of others can be helpful in itself
- You can just once or as many times as you wish.
How can I join a group?
Please express your interest for any of the following groups and we will send you further joining instructions.
If you have further questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please click the links below to confirm by email which course(s) you would like to sign-up to or express interest for
Mixed 'drop in' groups
V-space for SuppoRTT trainees
For more information and to book your place, please click here.
V-space Doctors' Forum
If you have further questions about our virtual groups or would like us to set up a virtual 'drop in' support session for any other groups please email email@example.com