Vocational Training by Equivalence
Performers List Validation by Experience (PLVE)
Since April 2006 dentists, who are not already on the National Performers List, have had to apply for a Performer Number from the Local Area Team of NHS England. This includes dentists working as locums who are not already on the National Performers List.
Those dentists who do not have a Foundation Training (Vocational Training) Certificate, or who have not completed an appropriate period of Foundation Training as defined in the Regulations, must be assessed by the Area Team in consultation with the LETB to decide whether the dentist can be admitted to the list based on having previous experience and training including NHS primary dental care.
Deaneries ceased to exist in 2013 and are now part of Health Education England's Local Education and Training Boards. PCTs also ceased to exist and in their place, NHS England (formally the NHS Commissioning Board) now manages a National Performers List. Applications to join this national list are now managed by local branches of NHS England, known as Area Teams.
The National Performers List website is a useful source of information and contains a postcode search tool, which allows you to easily identify the Area Team that covers the region in which you wish to work. The search results also provide contact details. see: https://www.performer.england.nhs.uk/AT/SearchByPostcode
Further information on the national process can also be found on the COPDEND website availbale at
Please note there are some associated costs for PLVE Programme fees these are:
£800- Initial assessment of application PLVE Programme Charge including first assessment of portfolio
£400- Practice compliance visit
Application Process for Performers List Validation by Experience
1) All dentists wishing to apply for Performers List Validation by Experience (PLVE) should look at the National Performers List application form, available for download via:
2) NHS England notifies HEE of a request and various documentation is required.
3) LKSS Dental office staff will send documents to the applicant and proposed practice. This
communication will come through from the following inbox email@example.com
4) In the absence of a satisfactory practice inspection report, a practice inspection is required. LKSS Dental office staff will send the applicant, practice and/or supervisor’s instructions on payment for practice visit. Payment for a practice inspection (if necessary) is required before the application can be considered further.
5) On receipt of all documents, satisfactorily completed, from the applicant and (both) Supervisor(s), plus payment for a practice inspection (if necessary), the documents will be reviewed. This review will be carried out by HEE LKSS Regional Advisors.
6) If this review demonstrates that the applicant and supervisor/s are eligible and suitable then the local team of NHS England will also be consulted regarding eligibility and suitability. If the response from NHS England is positive, then an assessment meeting will be offered with a HEE LKSS Regional Advisor (PLVE Increasing efficiency).
7) HEE will send NHS England the necessary documents for the application to be sent to a decisions panel.
8) Upon receipt of NHS England Local Team confirmation of applicant’s approval onto the performer list (with conditions/subject to PLVE) the period for PLVE commences, HEE in also informed.
(If the proposed PLVE practice and/or the PLVE Mentor are not approved as suitable for supervised training, HEE will notify the AT or its agent so that alternative arrangements can be sought. The applicant will normally have to find another potential PLVE practice and/or Mentor).
PLVE completion will be subject to evidence of satisfactory completion . This portfolio will be reviewed by a Regional Advisor. This portfolio is available for download in the above link.