CPD for Dental Care Professionals
London and KSS Dental team provide a comprehensive range of continuing professional development (CPD) for DCPs (Dental Care Professionals) to help maintain registration with the General dental Council. CPD makes a contribution to supporting registrants to maintain Standards and to protect patients. London and KSS Dental team aim to provide a variety of courses for DCPs that they will require to keep skills and knowledge up to date.
CPD is a simple method to ensure that you achieve the right abilities to do you job and enhance your expertise. You can also improve your career prospects by taking further qualifications in subjects such as oral health education and prevention in practice.
For DCPs there is a Minimum amount of Verifiable CPD that needs to be completed in your 5 year cycle. Your CPD cycle starts at the start of your first full year of registration with the GDC, which for DCPs is 1st August to 31st July
The amount of verifiable CPD depends on your registered title.
- dental therapists, dental hygienists, orthodontic therapists and clinical dental technicians need to do 75 hours
- dental nurses and dental technicians need to do 50 hours
Do at least 10 hours of CPD every two years
Dental professionals need to spread their CPD across the five-year cycle. This is achieved through the requirement to do a minimum of 10 hours of verifiable CPD across any consecutive two-year period, including when you end one cycle and start a new one.
You can choose to not do CPD in any given year, but you then need to ensure you do at least 10 hours the year before, or the year after, to comply. Record 0 hours in your CPD statement when you renew.
More details about the enhanced CPD may be obtained from the GDC website https://www.gdc-uk.org/education-cpd/cpd/enhanced-cpd-scheme-2018
Additionally, you need to record your CPD by:
- maintaining a personal development plan
- linking activities to at least one development outcome
- keeping a certificate to evidence verifiable CPD.
GDC Highly recommended topics:
- Medical emergencies: GDC recommends at least 10 hours in each CPD cycle, and at least two hours of this type of activity every year.
- Disinfection and decontamination: GDC recommends at least five hours in each cycle.
- Radiography and radiation protection: if you undertake radiography, GDC recommends at least five hours in each cycle. For dental technicians GDC recommends materials and equipment, instead of radiography and radiation protection, and again, at least five hours in each cycle.
The GDC also recommends CPD in the following areas:
- legal and ethical issues
- complaints handling
- oral cancer: early detection
- safeguarding children and young people
- safeguarding vulnerable adults.
All of our London and KSS CPD courses are advertised and available to book via Accent at: https://accent.hicom.co.uk/CourseManager/Live/London/Web/