HEE London & KSS
Performers List Validation by Experience (PLVE)
Since April 2006 dentists, who are not already on the National Performers List, have had to apply for a Performer Number from the Local Area Team of NHS England. This includes dentists working as locums who are not already on the National Performers List.
Those dentists who do not have a Foundation Training (Vocational Training) Certificate, or who have not completed an appropriate period of Foundation Training as defined in the Regulations, must be assessed by the Area Team in consultation with the LETB to decide whether the dentist can be admitted to the list based on having previous experience and training including NHS primary dental care.
To join the National Performers list you must apply online via the Performers List service – PCSE Online. This applies to all professions. The applications are sent to and handled by Primary Care Support England (PCSE) at email@example.com . The National Performers List website is a useful source of information and contains a postcode search tool, which allows you to easily identify the NHS England Area Team that covers the region in which you wish to work.
The search results also provide contact details for NHS England. The practice within which you plan to work must have an HEE approved PLVE Validation Supervisor and be approved by HEE as a PLVE Practice.
The national process can also be found on the COPDEND website available at: http://www.copdend.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/01-PLVE-Guidance
At the present time Health Education England is unable to consider applications into PLVE from dentists who cannot provide clinical references relating to two recent* posts (one of which will usually be a current post) each of which lasted at least three months (continuous period) without a significant break, or where this is not possible, a full explanation as to why that is the case and the names and addresses of two alternative referees. (Please use reference form below)
*’Recent’ is defined as ‘working within a dentist’s full scope of practice within the previous two years’ and is based on the AoMRC Return to Practice Guidance (2017 Revision).
PLVE Programme fees:
£800 - Initial assessment of application PLVE Programme Charge including first assessment of portfolio
£400 - Practice compliance visit
Application Process for Performers List Validation by Experience
1) All dentists wishing to apply for Performers List Validation by Experience (PLVE) should look at the National Performers List application form, available for download via: https://www.england.nhs.uk/commissioning/primary-care/primary-care-comm/performer-list-policies-procedures/
2) NHS England notifies HEE of a request and various documentation is required.
3) LKSS Dental office will send documents to the applicant (including reference request) and proposed practice. This communication will come through from: firstname.lastname@example.org
4) In the absence of a satisfactory practice inspection report, a practice inspection is required. LKSS Dental office will send the applicant, practice and/or supervisor’s instructions on payment for practice visit. Payment for a practice inspection (if necessary) is required before the application can be considered further.
5) On receipt of all documents, satisfactorily completed, from the applicant and (both) Supervisor(s), plus payment for a practice inspection (if necessary), the documents will be reviewed. This review will be carried out by HEE LKSS Regional Advisors.
6) If this review demonstrates that the applicant and supervisor/s are eligible and suitable then the local team of NHS England will also be consulted regarding eligibility and suitability. If the response from NHS England is positive, then an assessment meeting will be offered with a HEE LKSS Regional Advisor (PLVE Increasing efficiency).
7) HEE will send NHS England the necessary documents for the application to be sent to a decisions panel.
8) Upon receipt of NHS England Local Team confirmation of applicant’s approval onto the performer list (with conditions/subject to PLVE) the period for PLVE commences, HEE in also informed.
(If the proposed PLVE practice and/or the PLVE Mentor are not approved as suitable for supervised training, HEE will notify the AT or its agent so that alternative arrangements can be sought. The applicant will normally have to find another potential PLVE practice and/or Mentor).
PLVE completion will be subject to evidence of satisfactory completion . This portfolio will be reviewed by a Regional Advisor.