Dental Foundation Training
Dental Foundation Training is a one-year vocational training programme after Dental school. It’s purpose is to “enhance clinical and administrative competence and promote high standards through relevant postgraduate training and meet the needs of general dental practice in the NHS” (Royal College of Surgeons).
Foundation Dentists (FDs) spend a year in approved practices undertaking training. It introduces gradate dentists to general dental practice under the supervision of an experienced dentist ‘educational supervisor’ (ES). In some practices, two dentists share this role. The ESs provide supervision and help where needed and deliver tutorials.
FD’s work a 35-hour week, are salaried, employed by their accredited training practice and meet regularly for educational study days.
Educational Supervisors and FD’s are formed locally into one of twelve schemes comprising of 14-16 FD’s and their Educational Supervisors. Schemes are managed by Training Programme Directors.
The FDs written contract of employment with the Educational Supervisor/Training Practice (The Trainee's Contract) is nationally agreed.
Upon satisfactory completion of Dental Foundation Training, dentists receive Certificates of Completion signed by the Postgraduate Dental Dean. Dentists who possess such Certificates are allocated NHS dental performer list numbers, upon application, which enable them to work in the General Dental Services.
The Dental team, led by the Associate Dental Dean for Foundation Training, are committed to helping dental foundation trainees across the region achieve their full potential as dentists, and to prepare them for a fulfilling and rewarding career in dentistry.
There are currently 12 schemes across 3 grouped geographies across London and KSS Dental Education (September 2020 start). Study days are usually on a Wednesday or a Friday
- East Kent and Medway - based at Canterbury
- Surrey - based at Guildford
- Sussex- based at Chichester
- North Kent - based at East Grinstead
- North West London - based at Northwick Park
- North London – based at Eastman Hospital
- Central & East London – based at Londec
- Pilot- Based at Queen Mary University London
- South East London – based at Londec
- South West London – based at St Georges
- Pilot- Guys and Kings - based at Denmark Hill, Kings Hospital
- South Central – based at Croydon
Training Programme Directors (TPD’s):
Each Training Programme Director is aligned to a group and responsible for different aspects of training within that group
- Educational Supervisor reviews and meetings: Peter Mauthe
- Foundation Trainee performance and well-being: Sharon Biant
- Educational Workplace: Michael Lee
- Non-Dental Health care settings:Shabir Shivji
- Educational Supervisor reviews and meetings:Davesh Patel
- Foundation Trainee performance and well-being:Jasdeep Kaur Badyal
- Educational Workplace:Nikita Vora
- Non-Dental Health care settings:Vince Chen
- Educational Supervisor reviews and meetings:Caillin Redican
- Foundation Trainee performance and well-being:Sushil John
- Educational Workplace: Nikita Vora
- Non-Dental Health care settings:Lena Vakil
For further information for current trainees and Covid-19: https://www.hee.nhs.uk/covid-19/dental-trainees
- COPDEND Blue guide https://www.copdend.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Blue-Guide-2016.pdf
- Dental Foundation Eportfolio https://dentaleportfolio.hee.nhs.uk/
- ARCP checklist coming soon